Tilapia cakes are an excellent food for babies because you can cut them into strips and make it easy for them to pick up but still get the flavor of the fish!
- Prep Time: 15-30
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1-1.25 hours
- Yield: 13–14 tilapia cakes 1x
- 1 lb fresh or frozen tilapia filets
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, 1 cup finely diced (optional)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs, Japanese Style crumbs or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Preheat Oven to 425˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. If using frozen tilapia filets, take out of plastic and thaw in bowl of warm water. Then, put tilapia in a gallon size plastic or reusable bag, drizzle in olive oil and seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder (or some Italian Herb seasoning) and black pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 10-15 min or just until cooked through (my thinner cut tilapia was closer to 10 min). Remove from oven, cover with foil and rest ten minutes. Flake Tilapia with forks, remove any bones, and cool to room temp.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp butter and finely diced onion and bell pepper. Saute until softened and golden (7-9 minutes) then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled flaked tilapia, sautéed onion and pepper (optional), 1 cup bread crumbs, 2 beaten eggs, 3 Tbsp mayo, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 cup fresh parsley. Stir to combine then form into 13-14 patties. It’s easy to portion patties using a flat ice cream scoop then pressing them into 1/3 to 1/2″ thick patties.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter in a large pan over medium heat and once butter is done sizzling, add half of the tilapia cakes and sauté 3 1/2 to 4 min per side or until golden brown and cooked through. If tilapia cakes brown too quickly, reduce heat. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter and repeat cooking remaining salmon cakes.
Keywords: tilapia baby led weaning